Minister appoints new Fisheries Research and Development Corporation board
MINISTER for Agriculture and Northern Australia David Littleproud has appointed seven non-executive directors to the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC) for a three-year term from 1 September 2021.
The five new non-executive directors and two returning non-executive directors come from across Australia and bring varied experience across business, energy resources and aquaculture.
“The directors will help to lead the FRDC’s ambitious plan to drive new ways to take fishing and aquaculture into the future," Minister Littleproud said.
“This plan aligns with key national targets and global commitments, such as the shared industry and Australian Government target of building agriculture to $100 billion by 2030, and the United Nations Sustainable development goals," he said.
The FRDC is a co-funded partnership between the Australian Government and the fishing and aquaculture industries. Revenue for research and development investment is based on a co-funding model between the Australian Government and the commercial fishing and aquaculture industries.
Assistant Minister for Forestry and Fisheries Jonno Duniam said the FRDC invests in research, development and extension for the profitability and sustainability of the fishing industry and to benefit the wider community.
“The appointment of the next FRDC non-executive directors is necessary for the corporation to properly continue carrying out its functions and operations,” Assistant Minister Duniam said.
“The FRDC mission is to act as a national thought leader, facilitating knowledge creation, collaboration and innovation to shape the future of fishing and aquaculture in Australia for the benefit of the Australian people."
The newly appointed FRDC directors are:
- Professor Colin Buxton – Adjunct Professor, Fisheries, Aquaculture and Coasts Centre, Institute of Marine and Antarctic Studies, University of Tasmania (reappointment)
- Dr Chris Calogeras – Director, C-AID Consultants, Queensland (new appointment)
- Dr Saranne Cooke – Director, Leading Age Services Australia, New South Wales (reappointment)
- Mrs Suzanne (Suzi) Hullick – National Head of Indigenous Banking, Westpac Bank, Northern Territory (new appointment)
- Mr Boris Musa – Chief Executive Officer, Mainstream Aquaculture, Victoria (new appointment)
- Mr Alex Ogg – Manager, National Energy Resources Australia (new appointment)